Monday, August 5, 2013

Greek Pasta Salad

perhaps it is easy being green

Until recently I've avoided cucumbers like the plague. It always seemed to me that anything I ate with cucumbers in it, just tasted like cucumbers. I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older and my tastes are changing (or should I say, my taste buds are dying!), but I'm actually starting to like them.

I do still have to eat cucumbers with a dip or mixed into something, like this pasta salad. Here, I've taken traditional Greek salad ingredients and created a pasta salad version. This is a fun and easy recipe to swap-out for the mainstream macaroni salad. Make this next time you reach for that tired old recipe...

Ingredients - Serves 8
Pasta Salad
1lb. Orzo Pasta
1C Cucumber, diced
1/2C Red Onion, thinly sliced
1C Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/3C Kalamata Olives, halved
1C Feta Cheese, crumbled
Kosher Salt

Dressing
1 Lemon, zested & juiced
6-8 Sprigs Lemon Thyme (can sub regular thyme)
1tsp. Dried Oregano
1tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2tsp. Black Pepper
1/2C Extra Virgin Olive Oil, more as needed

Directions
Begin by making the dressing in a large bowl, zest and juice the lemon, strip the leaves from the thyme and run your knife through them to release the oils, add the oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. I used about a 1/2C, but when I served the salad added a little more because the pasta soaks it up.

Next bring a large pot of water to a boil. As the water is coming up prepare the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, and olives. Salt the water and cook the orzo for 6-7 minutes or just until al dente. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and run cold water over the pasta. Allow the orzo to drain completely.

Add the pasta to the dressing and toss well. Then add all of the prepared ingredients except for the feta; toss. Finally, add the feta and lightly toss, leaving some on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. When ready to serve, check to be sure there is enough dressing and if not, add a little more olive oil. Enjoy this green!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment