Saturday, August 24, 2013

Black Bean Burgers

beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

I have yet to discuss this on my blog, I'm not sure I even need to because it's probably obvious, but I don't eat a lot of meat. My husband and I eat a diet of mostly fruits, veggies, and legumes. We do enjoy seafood and at times chicken. But, you won't find me using pork or beef...if you do, it's from a family recipe or restaurant remake. I've found eating less meat has made me more creative with my cooking and has allowed me to try new things.

Now that summer is winding down and you've had the same old burgers and dogs at every cookout, perhaps it's time to try something new too. My black bean burgers are a nice change up and need to be cooked in a skillet. You can do that on the grill or stove top, so they seem perfect for this time of year. Make these for dinner tonight, here's how...

Ingredients - Makes 4 Large Patties
2, 15oz. Cans Low Sodium Black Beans, rinsed & drained
1/4C Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
1 Clove Garlic, roughly chopped
1 Egg
1T Worcestershire Sauce
1T Cumin
1T Chili Powder
1/2tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4tsp. Black Pepper
1/2C Bread Crumbs
Jalapeno, seeded & minced
2T Cilantro, chopped
4 Burger Buns
Optional Toppings: Salsa, Tomato, Lettuce, Cilantro, Chipotle Mayo, Avocado, Mexican Blend Cheese, etc.

Directions
In a food processor, pulse half the black beans, onion, garlic, egg, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper until combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining black beans, bread crumbs, jalapeno, and cilantro.

Divide the mixture into 4 quadrants, scoop out, and make loose patties. They will be sticky, but should stay together, if not add a bit more bread crumbs. Put the patties on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Bring a large cast iron pan to med-high heat. Add enough oil just to coat the bottom of the pan then add the patties. Reform as needed and cook for 5-6 minutes on the first side, undisturbed. Carefully flip them and continue cooking on the second side for 5-6 minutes. If adding cheese, do this about 1 minute before the burgers are done and tent the pan with foil to melt. Toast the burger buns under the broiler.

Serve the burgers on toasted buns with assorted toppings. We used tomatillo salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, and Mexican blend cheese. The more you eat these the more you know, you'll, fart, the more you fart the better you feel, so let's eat beans for every meal...had to finish the rhyme. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment