Monday, August 11, 2014

Grilled Fish Tacos w/ Fresh Peach Salsa

this recipe is just peachy-keen...

I visited my family in Huntington, WV this past weekend. I planned the trip in so that I could swim in my Papaul's pool one more time - he says this is the last time he'll be opening it but, we will see. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate (it was cloudy and a little cold) but, that didn't stop me. I still got in. It was fun to reminisce about the things we did (as kids) in that pool. So, many memories! One thing we always did on those summer days was cookout. So, in keeping with tradition, my husband and I made a big meal with the help of our family.

The star of the meal was my fresh peach salsa. Peaches, tomatoes, peppers, onion, and more are chopped up, mixed together, and served. I served this salsa with both grilled fish and pork and some other taco fixings. While I don't eat pork, I was told the rub I made (same as the fish with the addition of onion powder) was delicious. So, try this with what you like, even a chip will do. Here's how to make it...

Ingredients - Serves 8-10
Peach Salsa
4 Peaches, peeled, pitted, & diced
4 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 Red Onion, fine diced
1 Jalapeno, seeded & fine diced
1 Chipotle in Adobo, chopped + 1 T sauce
1 Lime, juiced
1-2 tsp. Granulated Sugar

Grilled Fish & Fixings
1 T Smoked Paprika
1 T Chile Powder
1/2 T Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
6 Tilapia Fillets
Olive Oil
Corn/Flour Tortillas
Optional Fixings: Lime Wedges, Sour Cream, & Cilantro

Directions
Begin by making the salsa: Combine the peaches, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, jalapeno, chipotle, adobo sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a large bowl. Toss everything together and taste. As needed, adjust the sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Prepare the fish: In a small bowl combine the spices, salt, and pepper. Place the fish on a tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle the spice rub on both sides and rub to coat the fish well. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Grill the fish: Meanwhile, heat the grill to med-high. Then add the fish and cook until opaque all the way through, 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, cool a bit, then cut into pieces. Grill the tortillas, if desired.

Assemble the tacos: On a tortilla place a few pieces of fish, 2-3 T peach salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired. Serve with a lime wedge and your favorite Mexican sides. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment