Friday, August 22, 2014

Basil Pesto Pasta Salad

beautiful basil bounty...

The end of August brings beautifully ripe tomatoes and what's a better pair with those ripe tomatoes than basil? Little, in my opinion. I have a small garden in my back yard. I grow fresh herbs and select vegetables. This year I was able to finally grow cherry tomatoes. In years past I've tried, but the squirrels usually steal them all! My basil has also taken off this year. So, I'm focusing on this beautiful end-of-summer bounty and making as many basil (and tomato) dishes as I can.

For this post I've made an easy and delicious pasta salad. What makes this pasta salad different is that I use a cheese filled pasta (think ravioli or tortellini) and toss it in a light basil pesto. The pesto here can be used in many different ways, as a sauce on hot pasta, as a simple dip with bread, or a topping for baked potatoes are my favorite. Try out this summery side before the season ends. Here's how...

Ingredients - Serves 6-8
1 1/2 C Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
1 Garlic Clove, roughly chopped
1/2 C Pine Nuts, toasted
1/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil, more as needed
1 Large (20 oz.) Package Cheese Filled Pasta, such as tortellini
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
3 Green Onions, chopped
1/2 C Corn, fresh or frozen (defrosted)

Directions
Bring a large pot of water up to a boil.

Meanwhile, make the pesto: In a food processor combine the basil, garlic, toasted nuts, cheese, and some ground black pepper. Pulse until everything is pretty well minced, about 10 pulses.

Next, with the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the spout on the food processor. Allow the pesto to process until nearly smooth. Scrape into a large bowl and set aside.

Finish up the pasta salad: Add a generous amount of salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until all of the pasta floats to the top. Drain and add to the pesto. Toss well, adding a little more olive oil as needed. Stir in the tomatoes, green onion, and corn. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy the end-of-summer bounty while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment