Friday, July 18, 2014

Puerto Rican Pina Colada

I like pina coladas and gettin' caught in the rain...

About 30 years prior to that song the pina colada was born in Puerto Rico. There is a debate about who created and branded the drink first. The Caribe Hilton, specifically Oasis Bar, claims to have created the original pina colada. We actually stayed at this hotel, it was beautiful, but didn't have an opportunity to try the drink. We did however try it on our food tour at the other place who claims to have created the drink - Barrachina. No matter it's origins, one thing is for sure, I like pina coladas...

When we visited Barrachina our tour guide, Victor, explained that what makes their recipe different than others is the way the drink is prepared. Barrachina prepares their drink in a "slushy" machine, thus never adding any ice, which they claim dilutes the drink. Most pina colada recipes call for blending the ingredients with ice. This is not so at Barrachina. I also attempted that with my recipe, but had to add some to get the right consistency. Also, I'm using an aged Puerto Rican rum - Don Q. This is what Barrachina uses (not Bacardi). I found it at Party Source in Kentucky. Make the most original pina colada you can, follow my recipe...

Ingredients - Makes 1 pitcher (serves about 4)
8 oz. Aged Rum (suggest Don Q Anejo*)
12 oz. 100% Pineapple Juice
6 oz. Cream of Coconut
Scant 1 C Ice
To Garnish: Fresh Pineapple Wedge and Leaf, Maraschino Cherry, a Little Umbrella, and a Straw (all optional)
*If you can't find Don Q Anejo, use another aged Puerto Rican rum such as Mount Gay.

Directions
The night before serving, freeze the pineapple juice in an ice cube tray. When ready to use, pop them out. This is one way I tried to cut down on using ice. I was semi successful.

Combine the rum, pineapple juice ice cubes, cream of coconut, and the scant cup of ice into a blender. Process until smooth and icy. Pour into glasses and garnish as desired. Let me know if you like my pina colada recipe, leave a comment. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment