Monday, June 10, 2013

Blueberry-Poppy Seed Coleslaw

oompa loompa do piddy do...I've got a blueberry recipe for you

Spring is winding down and now is the time to take in the last of the seasonal berries. Blueberries remind me of the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. As a child I watched the movie many, many times. I'm talking about he classic, not the new one with Johnny Deep. I remember the girl who loved gum so much, chomping on it the whole time while taking the tour, that she ate the blueberry gum and then turned into one. Ha! The Oompa Loompa's had to juice her.

Much like Willy Wonka's candy creations, I've taken an unconventional approach to coleslaw with this recipe. It might sound weird or even gross to have blueberries with cabbage. But, I assure you, this coleslaw is delicious and different. Try it at your next cookout, I'm sure it will be a hit. Here's how to make it...

Recipe - Serves 8-10
1 Pint Blueberries
1/2 Medium Head Green Cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 Small Head Purple Cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 Vidalia (yellow) Onion, grated
1C Plain Greek Yogurt (any fat)
2T Red Wine Vinegar
1T Poppy Seeds
1-2tsp. Salt
1/2tsp. Pepper

Directions
Start by making the dressing: grate the onion into a large bowl to capture the juices as well as the pulp. Then add the yogurt, vinegar, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Whisk these ingredients together well. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.

Next, thinly slice both cabbages. I suggest slicing instead of grating them, as I find the cabbage keeps its crunch longer. The coleslaw can be enjoyed even after it sits in the refrigerator. Add the cabbage to the dressing and mix well.

Finally, top the coleslaw with the blueberries and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, if not over night. Surprise your guests at your next cookout with this unconventional coleslaw. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment