Saturday, June 15, 2013

Blueberry Lemonade

sunshine in a glass for Dad

Little more says summer is almost here than Father's Day. It's the last spring holiday, which honestly should be in summer. Backyard barbecues, grill outs, pool parties, golf, etc. are all enjoyed on this day for Dad. I can think of nothing better than sipping on a refreshing glass of lemonade out on the deck.

Recently my husband and I decided to tear down our delapidated deck and build a new one. My dad, being an engineer and all, was our project manager. He, my brother, my husband, and I worked for days on this thing. My mom even helped out one day too! It has been a serious family project the past few weeks. Well, we finally finshed it! On the last day of "construction" I made my blueberry lemonade and Dad really liked it. Maybe your dad will too. Here's how to make it...

Recipe - Serves 8-10
2C Simple Syrup (recipe below)
2C Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (10-12 lemons)
12oz. Frozen Blueberries, thawed
3C Water
Vodka (optional)
For serving: Ice & Lemon Slices

Directions
Make the simple syrup: In a small sauce pan heat 1 1/2C sugar and water each until dissolved. This will take about 5 minutes over medium high heat. After the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

While the syrup is cooling process the lemons with either a juicer or by hand. If doing this by hand, try to find a helper...it's exhausting!

Next, add the syrup to a large pitcher with the berries. Muddle these together to extract juice from the berries. Then add the lemon juice and water. Stir everything together. Serve over ice in a high-ball glass with a lemon slice. If adding vodka, add 2oz. per drink. Here's to ringing in the summer, back deck sitting, and Dad! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment