Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dirty Dill Martini with Pickled Asparagus Garnish

a classic cocktail with a twist

I had my first dirty martini when I was a senior in college. It was my sorority's mom's weekend and one of my sister's mom's ordered this cocktail at A List (no longer at Miami, sadly). She let me try hers. I found the briny flavor of the olive juice with the vodka and dry vermouth to dye for! I had found a new cocktail to love and still enjoy them often today.
 
My Dirty Dill Martini is a fun twist on the classic. And, I've garnished it with a dill pickled asparagus spear to bring home this first "green" series. Here's how to make it:
 
Recipe
Dill Pickled Asparagus - Makes 1 Bunch
1 Bunch Asparagus, washed & trimmed
1 Bunch Fresh Dill
1/2T Dill Seed
1/2C White Distilled Vinegar
1T Kosher Salt
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
 
Dirty Dill Martini - Serves 2
6oz Vodka (such as Grey Goose)
3oz Dry Vermouth
1oz Dill Pickled Asparagus Brine (see recipe above)
Dill Pickle Asparagus Garnish (see recipe above)
 
Directions
Make the pickled asparagus:
 
In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine the vinegar, 1/2C water, salt, and garlic. Allow the mixture to cook until the salt is dissolved, approx. 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the asparagus, fresh dill, and dill seed. Pour the brine over the asparagus and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool to room temperature.
Make the drink:
In an ice filled shaker, combine the vodka, vermouth, and cooled brine (be sure to strain out the dill seeds). Shake until everything is chilled. Pour into two martini glasses and garnish with a dill pickled asparagus spear.
 
Cheers to remembering your first classic dirty martini and to trying something new!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment