Thursday, May 28, 2015

Grilled Curry Cauliflower Steaks w/ Chimichurri

a whole lot of grilling going on...

There's lots of grilling going on now that summer has unofficially started. Thank you Memorial Day weekend! And, as most of you know, I don't eat chicken, beef, or pork...so...what to grill? Well, there's lots of things I can eat. Any seafood is great on the grill. I enjoy a veggie burger now and then. And, portobello mushrooms are fantastic grilled. Fruit is also a winner - pineapple, peaches, even strawberries. But when I saw Guy Fieri grill cauliflower "steaks" on one of his shows last year, I was inspired. So, for this post I'm grilling cauliflower!

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of cauliflower raw, but roasted with spices it's pretty good. So, of course grilled cauliflower coated in curry powder has to be tasty. I'm again using the curry powder I made. Check out my prior post for the recipe. But, that didn't seem like quite enough. So, I thought, what is steak served with? And, chimichurri came to mind. If you've never had chimichurri it's a lot like a pesto, but with different herbs and no Parmesan cheese or nuts. The recipe I've posted here came from someone I used to work with and it was the perfect addition to my steaks. Grill something new, cauliflower steaks, here's how...

Ingredients - Serves 4
Chimichurri
1 C Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
1 C Fresh Cilantro
1/4 C Fresh Oregano
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 Lime, zest & juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cauliflower Steaks
2 Heads Cauliflower
1/4 C Olive Oil
1 T Curry Powder
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper

Directions
Preheat a grill (or grill pan) to 350 degrees.

Make the chimichurri: Combine the parsley, cilantro, oregano, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse to roughly chop. Add the lime zest, juice, salt, and pepper. Then, with the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until everything comes together. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

Prepare the steaks: Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower heads; leave the core intact. Set the cauliflower on their base and halve them vertically. Then slice each half vertically again, into 1 inch steaks. Reserve the ends for another use. Put the steaks on a sheet tray and coat them on both sides with the olive oil, curry powder, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.

Grill the steaks & serve: Place the steaks on the preheated grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and marked. Remove to plates and top with the chimichurri. We had grilled Romain salads with ours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment